[Advaita-l] Mundaka Upanishad

latha vidyaranya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Sun Aug 21 11:14:51 CDT 2005

hari om
namaste

the fire wood has all the hidden potential of becoming a fire; it only requires some body to kindle it. similarly the shishya who comes to a guru has all the hidden potential and it is the guru who is the right person to kindle it and nurture the fire (taapa - to seek HIM). could the 'carrying of wood' be symbolic in this sense?????????? just expressed a thought that crossed my mind.

hari om
namaste

arun nair <arun103 at gmail.com> wrote:
I am currently studying the Drg-Drshya Viveka with commenatry by Swami
Tejomayanandaji, in which he quotes the following verse from Mundaka
upanishad (I-2-12):

"parIksya lokAn karmacitAn brAhmano
niverdam-AyAn-nAsty-akrtan krtena
tad-vijnAnArtham sa gurum-ev'Abhigacchet
samitpAnih srotriyam brahma-nistham

Having examined the worldly pleasures acquired by action, the wise man
gets detached from them since the Eternal cannot be gained by actions.
Therefore to attain That, with firewood in hands, he should humbly
approach the Guru who is well versed in scriptures and is a man of
realisation"

Can anyone explain the significance of the statement "with firewood in hands".

regards
arun

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org