[Advaita-l] My introduction - ViShNuu suukta

Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 15:20:52 CST 2005

Actually I wanted to say -

  yaGYanaanaama japayaGYosmi || giitaa 10.25 ||

  and deriving the definition of word japa as - tajjapastatadarthabhaavanam || paa.yo. suutra . sammdhipaada 28 ||

  Meaning - japa is not the dwelling and thinking about the meaning of manrata and not it's academic mechanical repetition.

  Hopefully this will help clarify why Lord KR^iSha is yaGYana.

  Thank you.

  Dr. Yadu

Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Thank you sadnanada-Ji:

This is one of thsoe practical advise for our ancestors that applies to all the situations that is why Lord KR^iShNa declares himself as being yaGYana.

In rudraadhyaaya (dashama anuvaaka)

##garbhaashcha me vatsaashcha me travishcha me travii cha me
dityavaaT.h cha me dityauhii cha me paJNchaavishcha me
paJNchaavii cha me trivatsashcha me trivatsaa cha me
turyavaaT.h cha me turyauhii cha me pashhThavaaT.h cha me pashhThauhii cha ma
ukshaa cha me vashaa cha ma R^ishhabhashcha me vehashcha me
.anaDvaaJNcha me dhenushcha ma##

aayuryaGYena kalpataaM
praaNo yaGYena kalpataamapaano yaGYena kalpataaM
vyaano yaGYena kalpataaM chakshuryaGYena kalpataa\m+
shrotraM yaGYena kalpataaM mano yaGYena kalpataaM
vaagyaGYena kalpataamaatmaa yaGYena kalpataaM
yaGYo yaGYena kalpataam.h || anuvaaka 10\.1||

Meaning - I will acquire (#.....#) by performing yaGYa through prana, apaana, vyaana, caxu, shrotra, mana, vaaNii, aatmaa, and yaGYna.

Note: Here this becomes clear if we intrepret the word yaGYana as efforts and that is why puruSha suukta concludes with a statement yaGYena yaGYanamayajanta devaa sthaani dharmaaNi prathamaanyaasan.

Whether it is kR^iShNa or shivaa/rudra the key operative word is efforts.

That is why R^igveda the declares "na R^iite shraantasya sakhyaaya devaaH (4.33.1)". Also R^igveda qualifies that Gods do not help the meaningless (artha-shuunya) academic (just for the sake of doing work) efforts "na mR^iShaa shraataM yadvanti devaaH (1.179.3)".##

Just some thoughts.

hariH OM tat sat,

Dr. Yadu

kuntimaddi sadananda wrote:

--- Abhishek RK wrote:

> On 12/7/05, Neelakanta, Nataraja wrote:
> >
> > To support this statement, there is another quote in Taittiriya
> > Brahmanam , Ashtama prapaathaka :
> >
> > Yagnou y Vishnuhu |
> >
> > Meaning - By doing Agni upaasana, one will become Vishnu himself !
> What
> > a statement !
>

> I had thought yajno vai vishnuh meant Yajna is verily Vishnu Himself.
> But
> this meaning seems more proper somehow. Thanks for this nice write up.
>
> Regards,
> Abhishek

I think that is the primary meaning. The vishu sahasranaamaavali also
says He is yajnaH|
yagno yajnapatiryajnvaa yajnaango yajnavaahanaH|
In Geeta Krishnaa says as the essence of karmayoga - yajnaartha
karmaNo2nyatra loko2yam karma bandhanaH| tadartham karma kounteya
muktasangaH samaacara| It could mean - do the action for Vishnu
otherwise one will get bound by the action - He is pleased when one
offers whatever one does with an attitude of surrenderance - yat karoshi
...tat kurushva madarpaNam||

Hari OM!
Sadananda

For assistance, contact: