[Advaita-l] mANDukya kArikA bhAShya

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Feb 3 22:01:19 CST 2005

Can someone tell me what are the issues with this bhAShya and why some
think this may not be by Sankara?

praNAm Ravishankara Mayavaram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

As far as my limited knowledge goes shankara has written the commentary on
both mANDukya shruti & Sri gaudapAda's kArika on it...But dualists claim
that kArika's Agama prakaraNa belongs to shruti itself & it is not an
independent work of gaudapAda...shankara (??) himself says at the beginning
of kArikA bhAshya that he is going to write commentary on all the 4
prakaraNa-s of kArika.  On the face of the kArikA commentary shankara seems
to contradict himself from his sUtra bhAshya ..especially when dealing with
avasthAtraya & kAraNAvidyA.  But  with the indepth study of these two
commentaries with a proper understanding of the context, it is evident that
our AchArya is not contradicting himself.  My parama guruji has taken this
issue & has written elaborated notes on the reconciliation of the apparent
contradictions in the bhAshya vAkya-s....Interested readers can see
SatchidAnandEndra Saraswathi's book *mAndukya rahasya vivrutti*...in
Sanskrit or *GaudapAda hrudaya* in kannada or translated version of
GaudapAda hrudaya in English by SB Gangolli.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar