[Advaita-l] Is the notion of an ISvara compatible with advait a?

praveen.r.bhat at exgate.tek.com praveen.r.bhat at exgate.tek.com
Mon Feb 14 08:06:39 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: advaita-l-bounces at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
[mailto:advaita-l-bounces at lists.advaita-vedanta.org]On Behalf Of Jaldhar
H. Vyas
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 4:52 PM
To: A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Is the notion of an ISvara compatible with
advaita?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Amuthan Arunkumar R wrote:

> as far as i understand, according to advaita vedAnta,
> jN.Ana and karma don't go together, i.e, once the
> brahman is realized mAyA no longer exists.

I think the problem is maya often gets translated as illusion which
suggests it doesn't really exist when it is more correct to say it is a
lower order of reality.

For example.  Common sense tells you the Earth is flat and unmoving while
the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.  However after studying a
little Astronomy, one learns that in fact the Earth is revolving around
the Sun.  Now can an astronomer still talk about and enjoy the "sunset"
knowing that the sun is not really setting?  Of course he can.

Similiarly a jivanmukta knows that what was formerly seen as duality is in
actual fact non-duality.  His perspective has changed not the world.  He
does not need to feel contempt for the world or to treat it as
insignificant.  He just knows its true nature.

The difference between a jivanmukta and Ishvara is that Ishvara has this
perfect knowledge throughout the world-cycle.

It's a boy! See the pictures - http://www.braincells.com/nilagriva/