[Advaita-l] Is an ISvara compatible with advaita vedAnta?

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Feb 15 00:49:28 CST 2005

namo nArAyaNAya

dear SrI bhAskar,

praNAm Arunkumar prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Arun prabhuji:

that a sublated knowledge of the "world" will exist
for a jN.Ani is precisely the point questioned.

bhaskar :

I dont see any valid reason here to consider that jnAni should see only
*void* after advaita paramArtha jnAna!!  As Sri Jaldhar prabhuji & Sri stig
prabhuji said it is all about intuitively realizing the self-evident, ever
existing nature of our svarUpa & understanding the temporal, time & space
bound avasTha restricted  existence of jagat...

Arun prabhuji:

the above analogy does not apply here. the reasons why
it is not applicable is clearly mentioned by SrI
rAmAnujAcArya. i've mentioned the criticism of the
above argument by SrI rAmAnujAcArya in my previous
mail.

bhaskar :

prabhuji it is fine that you have quoted rAmAnuja..but you should first
share your understanding of these bhAshya vAkya-s before posing any
questions to advaitins..first kindly share us what you have understood
about avidyA, mAya, brahma svarUpa etc. we can take from there on!!!

Arun prabhuji:

essentially, it reduces to the following question :
what exactly is bAdhita jN.Ana?

bhaskar :

bhAdita jnAna basically refers to discrimination between what is nitya &
what is anitya..anitya vastu does not vanish even after realising that it
has temporal existence & good for empirical transactions..but jnAni has the
*true vivEka* that it is anitya & nAma & rUpa paricchinna...Only jnAni can
have this type of true knowledge since he has realized the highest reality
which sublates the empirical reality of lOka vyavahAra...Those who are
still in the realm of avidyA cannot assert that this jagat is
mithya..shankara beautifully says in sUtra bhAshya :

na hi ayaM sarvapramANasiddhO lOkavyavahAraH anyat tattvamanadhinagamya
shakyatE apahnOtuM!  apavAdAbhAvE utsarga prasiddhE:!

After the dawn of Atma jnAna, jnAni realises his svarUpa as kEvala sAkshi
which is devoid of all empirical nature of avasthA-s.. with this knowledge
he *perceives* the world with sublated knowledge which shankara says again
in ArambhaNAdhikaraNa sUtra bhAshya :

ataShcha idaM shAstrIyaM brahmAtatvaM avagamyamAnaM svAbhAvikasya
shArIrAtmatvasya bhAdhakaM saMpadyatE rajjvAdi bhuddhaya iva sarpAdi
buddhInAm! bhAdhitE cha shArIrAtmatvE tadAshraya: samastaH svAbhAvikO
vyavahArO bhAdhitO bhavati yatprasiddhayE nAnAtvAmShOparO brahmaNaH
kalpyEta!....

hari sarvatra,
aparyAptAmr.ta

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!