[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 21, Issue 2

abhishek rk smartie_625 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 22:51:08 CST 2005

Namaste Vidyasankarji,
Thank you very much for the information reg pUrva
mImamsa sUtras and learning veda.

Regards,
Abhishek

Sarve Janaah Sukhino Bhavantu

 --- advaita-l-request at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan (Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005
12:07:07

>Are the mImAmsa sutras still extant? I had read
>somewhere that they contain 1000 "sections" as
opposed
>to 192 "sections" of the Brahma sutras. Also I
>understand that advaita could be considered as a
>"modified" purva mimamsa bcos of the importance put
on
>karma for non-sannyasis by Shrimad Shankaracharya (as
>in the Gita Bhashya).

The mImAMsA sUtras (technically, the pUrva mImAMsA
sUtras) are indeed quite
extant and have been studied extensively, both by
traditional pundits and
modern scholars. I am not sure about the number of
topics discussed in them,
but please note that the 192 sections (the technical
Sanskrit term is
adhikaraNa) of the brahmasUtras are according to the
advaita vedAnta
tradition. Other vedAnta traditions number the topics
of the brahmasUtras
differently.