[Advaita-l] Re Jaimini's Mimamsa sutras

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jan 14 10:37:21 CST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, D.V.N. Sarma wrote:

> And vyvahAra takes up 99.9% of their lives. Strange if we remember
> that Sankara's main target of attack is pUrva mImAMsa.

Actually, looking at the brahmasutrabhashya it seems samkhya/yoga gets the
brunt of the attack. I think its because its philosophical interests
encroach the most upon Vedantic territory.  With Purva Mimamsa, Shankaracharya
refutes their attempts to overreach their opinions into areas they
don't belong but most of P.M. doesn't overlap with Vedanta so it can be
tolerated.  The same approach can be seen in his treatment of Vaishnavism
and Shaivism.  He criticizes those doctrines which are contrary to the
Vedas but has no problem with the practical forms of worship they suggest.

It's a boy! See the pictures - http://www.braincells.com/nilagriva/