[Advaita-l] RE: Vedic Shakhas for kshatriyas and vaishyas?

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 16:50:37 CST 2005

--- Sanjay Srivastava <sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> >Baudhayana says that, if a Brahmin finds it
> impossible
> >to maintain by being an Acharya or a Purohita, he
> may
> >take to the livelihood of a Kshatriya or of that of
> >Vaishya.
>
> Is this the case here, sir? Did the original poster
> discuss the case of
> a_particular_Brahmin who
> found_it_IMPOSSIBLE_to_maintain by being an Acharya
> or a Purohita?

My quoting of Baudhayana is in response to Shri
ShriKishna's following statement.
"Is there a permission that such brahmana can get into
trade, law, medicine for earning living and compete
with other communities ?"

> What about the case raised by the
> original poster where
> subject did not even try to be an Acharya or a
> Purohita simply because this
> was not as rewarding as other professions?

It doesnt take much to recognise that it is impossible
for anyone as of now to survive solely on those two.

While it is true that a Brahmana should not abandon,
those professions at the very outset, I wonder what
choice does one have given that many existing
purohitas just starve(there are wealthy ones too but
very rare). Guess how worse it will become if all
present Brahmanas become purohita-s?

Why starve to death when there is a provision? IMHO,
it is appropriate to invoke apad-dharma because there
is no King anywhere that will support Brahmanas nor
sufficient number of dvijas who are interested in
learning vedas.

I guess there is no harm as long as the chosen
profession doesnt prevent performance of nitya karmas.

 Rgds