[Advaita-l] Re: All should read the Vedas

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 23:01:03 CST 2005

Namaste,
--- sidha at omkarananda-ashram.org wrote:
> Most of the Purana's are comparatively modern. One
> can know that if one
> looks at the language used in them. None of them is
> even as old as the
> Upanishads, what to say about the Vedas.

None of the above seems to be a valid reason for
ignoring them. That they came later is well known.
However, I dont think that would mean they are not
authoritative or to be discarded.

>Acharya
> Shankara himself didn't
> quote any purana accept Vishnu purana. I can't
> remember if I have seen him
> quoting any agama at all. May be dharmasutras, but
> not any Agama.
>Here I'm
> talking of the Prasthanatraya Bhashyam.

Agama-s have authority of their own in their sphere.

Shankaracharya also authored the Prapanchasara which
is commented upon by Padmapadacharya himself.

Please see the Brahma Sutra Bhasya.
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe34/sbe34105.htm
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe34/sbe34106.htm
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe34/sbe34107.htm

> When the Vedas themselves don't give any limitation?
> When they are keeping
> themselves free from any such limitation, who are we
> to impose those
> limitations on them?

Smriti is merely a recollection of what was practiced
in ages past. Shankaracharya seems to quote smriti in
a number of places.

> When the Vedas say "shrinvantu
> vishve amritasya
> putraah" "o you children of immortality! listen unto
> me", how can you say
> that all shouldn't be allowed to listen it.

The restriction is only on reciting veda-s as mantra-s
and on officiating and performing yAgA-s etc. Everyone
can study the bhasya-s and understand them. This is
made clear in this list too.

> Come on, wake up. We all are manavas,
> the descendents of
> Manu.

 The position of Manu is very clear on this issue.

Btw a small correction in earlier post.
>All responses to this post will only be offline.
I meant that I will write offline to any response for
my last posting.