[Advaita-l] Whan is a Pot a Pot?

ShankarPll at aol.com ShankarPll at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 10:20:52 CST 2005

When is a Pot a Pot?
The Vyavaharika Pot:
In this post I should like to explore the subjective  reality of our symbolic
vyavaharika pot and by analogy that the perception of  all Prakritic objects
is subjective, without explicitly resorting to the  conventional Advaitic
epistemological techniques (Adhyasa) i.e. of  subject-object and object-subject
super-impositions.
Why does the perception of the Vyavaharika pot differ  between individuals?
At the simplest level we may associate such perceptual  differences with
genetic differences or neurological defects. Science itself  gives us the clues to
this – it tells us that object-visualisation is not a  homogeneous proposition
Each brain, after all, has some hundred million neurons  (brain nerve cells),
each of which have up to ten thousand connection points  where information
exchange occurs (synapses). The permutations involved are  astronomical. (In fact
a scientist may even propose that the definition of the  self is contained in
nature of these synaptic interactions).
Does every living creature view this pot in an identical  way? Our answer of
course must be unequivocally negative. In additional to the  variations
identified above we know that there are some thirty visualisation  areas at the back
of a human brain. A neurologist might argue that the precise  interaction of
these visualisation areas defines perception as we understand it.  After all,
science tells us now that the object visualisation process is not  about
retinal imaging (followed by the conveyance of the data to the visual  cortex) but
that the process is far more abstruse. To be specific, neurologists  suggest
that this process entail transformations into “symbolic  representations”.
Further, it is also now commonly held that perceptual beliefs  are also
representational. From this it is a short step to say all experience is
representational. Given that representational transformations are subjective  this suggests
to me is that the notion of  a homogeneous perception of reality is a
falsity.
If one accepts this then our humble pot may indeed be  viewed uniquely by
each individual. And of course we should not limit the  exercise to the human
species – creatures with genetically poor eyesight (e.g.  an elephant) or
genetically superior eyesight (in relation to the human species)  should view our pot
differently. And what about the spatio-textual dynamics of  the pot?  We
know, for example that  there are species of fish that can see millions of
colours. Human beings are  limited in their sensory organs.
Let us extend this further. Our universe is a rather  large place. Modern
cosmology suggests that up to 50% of all star-systems have  planetary formations –
 some proportion of which may have life and some  proportion of that will be
Intelligent life. The question that we need to raise  here concerns the nature
of the visualisation process that optometry evolved  under alien conditions.
Specifically how will an alien life-form “image” our  pot. I should suggest
that even if we were able to translate such alien  optometric perception for
human analysis we should not necessarily be able to  perceive the “alien” pot.
Spatio-temporal characteristics of objects, its  textures and colours etc may
vary substantially between species. If this to be  applied to all objects then
even in the vyavahirika universe our understanding  of even basic
epistemological constants may be open to question. Note that this  is not to deny its
ontological “reality” at this stage but simply to question  whether there is an
objective nature to this “reality”  - even in an experiential universe.
All of which still operate at one level but there are  many other perceptual
dynamics at work.  One of these relates to the fact that emotional connection
or  disconnection affects our perception. Some years ago, in the course of a
conversation at work, one of my colleagues expressed her profound abhorrence
for  grass i.e. the plant of the Graminae family - beloved of cattle etc. Now
she did  not suffer from grass-pollen induced hay-fever but her associated
loathing  stemmed from traumatic events in her childhood, in Communist Eastern
Europe,  when she was forced to work in the fields. These events had coloured the
 perception of the common plant. This was a rational person who had come to
terms  with her experiences in every other sense. Why is this relevant? The
point is  surely that our “pot” is not simply defined by language context nor by
its  spatio-temporal characteristics alone but also by its “emotional history
”– it  may be viewed with sadness, or amusement or anger or some other
emotion. (To  take this to the extreme, we know from neurologists that damage to the
links  from the amygdala to the limbic system lead to a condition in which
there is  emotional disconnection - leading to another "strange" reality).
Smelling the Colour of the Pot:
Let us imagine a hypothetical universe where human  visualisation was
monochromatic. In such circumstances we could not conceive of  colour, except in the
abstract. Does that mean the human experience in this  monochromatic universe
is less real? In fact in such a universe the likelihood  would be that colour
visualisation would be treated as a  defect.
Now consider the hypothetical circumstance in which the  human brain has been
re-engineered with synesthetic qualities. (The condition  synesthesia is one
where the sufferer mixes up the senses so that, for example,  the colour red
is C Sharp and so forth). Professor Ramachandran suggests that  number-colour
synesthesia occurs because the area of the brain where visual  graphemes of
numbers are represented is proximate to the area colours are  analysed. The
propinquity increases the possibility of mix-up). Our hypothetical  genetic
experiment with a “super brain” in which we deliberately cross-wire  sensory areas
would lead to circumstances in which we could smell sights, touch  sounds and
so forth. (Remember theoretically we could have sorts of sensory
permutations). Our pot then could, under specific conditions, have the texture  and taste
of a red and the smell of C sharp! Is this enhanced synesthetic  reality more
real?
My argument would be that these hypothetical universes  are not illusory,
they have a cognitive “reality” so that they are not unreal  (asat) and nor can
they cannot be reduced to shunya. Indeed the epistemic  connection between
this cognitive reality and externality is relevant to  investigate. The answers,
it seems to me, lie in the bounds of  mithya.
The other point to be made is that is we are not far off  the day when it
will be possible to genetically alter a human brain such that  these “defects”
are deliberately in-built. If we take the hypothetical situation  where, in
some distant future, the human race consists of persons with such  altered organs
their reality would be different from “ours”. (By the way we probably need
to consider the  “reality” of humanness  - since nine  out of every ten cells
in the human body are either bacterial or viral – we are,  as some one once
put it, 90% alien!)
Mistaking the Pot for a  Hat:
In an asylum the sane man is  abnormal.
So if we extend the case to neurological “defects” the  range of  “abnormal”
 views of  reality increase exponentially. To illustrate, consider the case
study from the  title of Oliver Sachs’s “The Man who mistook his wife for a
hat”:
Dr P, was a musician and painter of distinction and a  teacher but develops
the condition visual agnosia. Dr P, Professor Sachs informs  us, was unable to
see faces and saw faces where there were none to see. This led  to Magoo-like
adventures  - he would  pat fire hydrants and parking meters in the streets
and enter into conversations  with door knobs. He could not even distinguish his
foot from his shoe. His  inability to recognise topological features
manifested itself in the incident  that titled Sach’s book. The specific circumstances
of which were that Sachs  shows his patient a cover of a copy of the National
Geographic with pictures of  an unbroken expanse of sand dunes and asks him
to describe its  physiognomy:
“What do you see here, I asked?
“ I see a river”, he said. “And a little guest-house with  its terrace on
the water. People are dining out on the terrace. I see coloured  parasols here
and there…”
“I must have looked aghast, but he seemed to think he had  done rather well.
There was a hint of a smile on his face. He also appeared to  have decided
that the examination was over, and started to look for his hat. He  reached out
his hand, and took hold of his wife’s head, tried to lift it off, to  put it
on. He had apparently mistaken his wife for a hat! His wife looked as if  she
was used to such things”. P.9-10, Sachs, “The man who mistook his wife for a
Hat”(1985), Picador Press.
The case of Christina (“the disembodied lady”) from the  same book is also
relevant. This was a lady who could not conceive of her body –  she had lost
her “body-ego” as a result of sensory neuritis (of the spinal and  cranial
nerves).
Neurological defect’s aside, strange perceptual traits  are applicable to the
highly intelligent but “neurologically normal”. Thus, for  example, extreme
absent-mindedness - Einstein (forgetting where he lived) or  Hilbert (not
realising what he had for breakfast over the many years) or Von  Neumann (who did
not know where his kitchen was) and so forth.
The point of all this is that realities are subjective in  nature, and
therefore one can talk about the pliability of experiential reality.  Where parts of
the brain are damaged they can create “strange” realities and the  situation
according to Sachs is equally true of neurological “excesses”. To use  a
systems perspective on this, one could say that these situations are
non-equilibrating – i.e. there is a fundamental lack of balance in the organic
structure. Excess growth of one area in the brain is at the cost of  non-development
elsewhere.
However, if we extend the logic to  broadly equilibrating examples where
there is over-development of lobal  functionality (frontal, temporal, parietal or
occipital) the consequence may be  equally strange “realities”. The
apocryphal (?) story of the explanation John  Von Neuman, one of the great figures of
twentieth century mathematics, provided  of his car crash at the infamous “Von
Neuman corner” in Princeton comes to  mind:
“ I was proceeding down the road. The trees on the right  were passing me in
orderly fashion at 6o miles an hour. Suddenly one of them  stepped in my path.
Boom!” – The legend of John Von Neumann (P.R  Halmos).
If such variation of perception exists within the human  species, what
variances can one expect from our hypothetical alien or from a  genetically
engineered human brain? For some the Pot is a snake or a rope or  even, as per Dr P,
one’s wife! Notwithstanding the fact that Evolutionists might  argue that this
is an impossibility, the construction of a line of reasoning  that the pot is
only a relative object and that its "relationality" is governed  by a host of
variables (including that of the parochial definition of human  neurological “
normality”) has some legitimacy.
The Mithya pot
There may be a valid argument to suggest that all humans  suffer from these “
defects” and that, in the end, it is only a matter of degree  that separates
the strange from the norm. If this is the case then there is a  sense in which
Vyavaharika merges with Pratibhasika.
One can deny the “existence” of the pot but I do not see  how you can deny
the existence of its underlying substratum - (i.e. I personally  don’t
understand how the pot could be reduced to Shunya) but it seems to me that  its common
definition only relates to a specific neurological state. Perhaps one  could
argue that a greater “mithya" reality is an aggregate of all vyavaharika  “
realities” and that a hypothetical intellectual ability to aggregate (and
dis-aggregate) the plurality is another way of expressing the state of infinite
that we commonly refer to as Samadhi.
It is at the extremes of hypothesis that we can explore  the boundaries of
vyavaharika Before we do this let us briefly describe the  Hindu concept of
cosmic time: 1 human year = 360 days; 1 human year = 1 day in  the life of Deva’s;
366 Deva days = 1 Deva year; 12,000 = 1 Chatur Yuga; 1000  Chatur yuga’s = 1
day of Brahma (and similar amount for each night); 360 days  and nights = 1
year of Brahma. Brahma lives for 100 of His years, after which He  sleeps for a
similar amount of time.  In total we are talking of several billion years.
Thus the universe has  continual existence – the waking state and sleeping state
having been  interspersed in this continuum for all eternity.
This for me intuitively corresponds to Jagrat, Swapna and  Susupati states.
(Though I do not remember any specific Puranas referring to  Brahma’s Swapna).
Thus, presumably if a transcendent mind is taken back, through  yogic
practice, to a state before any specific beginning (into a Susupati state)  such a
mind conceives a state of apparent nothing. However, perhaps if the mind  is
taken back further (into the previous Jagrat) it sees a state of apparent
consciousness and so on. Logic then suggests that this is a part of a continuum
superimposed on an eternal consciousness with Turiya enveloping all the  states.
(By the way, modern medical research tells us that the”  natural” state, as
it were, is sleep. The waking state is brought forth by a  bio-chemical
reaction in the hypothalamus. Thus sleeping sickness (encephalitis  lethargica) may
be attributed to damage/ defect to the hypothalamus).
The Akshayapatra of  Pots:
“The solution to the problem of the self won't be a  straightforward
empirical one. It may instead require a radical shift in  perspective, the sort of
thing that Einstein did when he rejected the assumption  that things can move at
arbitrarily high velocities. When we finally achieve  such a shift in
perspective, we may be in for a big surprise and find that the  answer was staring at
us all along… but there are curious parallels between this  idea and the Hindu
philosophical view that there is no essential difference  between self and
others or that the self is an illusion”. V.S Ramachandran,  Reith Lectures –
Neuroscience – the New Philosophy.
In modern science as well as human nature causality is  king. That human
nature puts causality on a pedestal is not surprising. A  fundamental aspect of
human nature appears to be the search for certainty. The  evolutionist argues
that it is the survival instinct that propagates the desire  for certainty - Re:
Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene etc). But we know from  scientific evidence
and common sense that each individual interprets his or her  environment
using the recursive patterns in experience as the means of  self-validating the
sense-making process to create  “certainty”.
However, the arrogance is such that science suggests that  evolutionary,
causal processes can explain “everything”. Therein, Dawkin's  argues that even
God and spirituality may be reduced to bio-chemical reactions  in the brain and
Hawkins that there really is a “theory of everything” in the  “visible”
universe.
I believe that Truth lies beyond the veil of  reductionism.  In systemic
terms the  scientific temperament tends to perceive the universe as part of a
general  equilibrium, which gives science the assurance of certainty.
Paradoxically,  however, I feel that that the solutions to the questions that science
addresses  will also point to the inadequacy of the partial equilibrium models
(where most  of the variables that govern the “reality” are held constant and
unknown) from  which the empirical answers are currently procured.
I cannot conclude this post without reference to perhaps  the most famous
representation of our pot – that with five holes and a burning  lamp inside. Its
holes may be of varying size (and the light that illumes its  external objects
may be, prima facie, subject to an interdependency with all its  cavities)
but it is the prakasha eternal. And when the question arises of  whether one’s
pot is empty or full, the optimist in me says that the pot is  always full,
even though it isn’t there!
Shankar
Aum Namo  Shivaya