[Advaita-l] How can one claim to know Brahman?

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 22:24:12 CST 2005

Well, i think the use of the words "Brahman was experienced" is not quite properly understood in its correct sense herein.

Brahman is never an object how so ever subtle, to be "realised".  it is the true Self of the Knower and "knowledge of Brahman" is the "Knowledge" that the Seeker does not have any false notion about himself, but is (eternally) aware of his true Self.  Thats all..nothing more and nothing less.

Please consult Swami Sachidanendra Saraswathi's Original English (not the many translated by others) work and that should clarify this better.

Venkat.

Mahesh Ursekar wrote:
> Esteemed readers,
>
> The seers say that when one realizes Bramhman, the knower, the knowing
> and know become one. In that is indeed true, then when one returns to
> the normal state, how can one claim that Brahman was experienced as
> Sat-chit-ananda? That claim can only be made if the knower was
> different from the known during the experience.
>
> One philosopher I conversed with said that the situation is similar to
> the deep sleep state wherein one is aware of it even after the
> experience as in the claim - "I had a deep sleep last night". However,
> my objection to that is that nobody can describe the state of deep
> sleep or how one felt while in that state - one can only claim to
> being in that state after feeling refreshed the next day. However, in
> the case of realization, one can describe, however inaccurately, the
> experience one had during that state.
>
> Can anyone explain this conundrum?

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org