[Advaita-l] Knower of brahman

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 06:38:01 CST 2005

Pranams:

>>The thing that "the knower of brahman becomes brahman" happens only
after >>the death of his physical body, and this happens once his PK
become zero. >>Then as per Gita, 2/24, his soul becomes infinite,
meaning that the soul is >>divine, and that there is only one divine,
like only one sea remains once the river >>merges in it. Advaitam
takes place only at the end, and before that, it is the >>realization
of advaitam

I beg to differ on your interpretation of the realization Brahman
state, also called Samadhi. It is only in Samadhi that the knower,
know and the knowing process become one and so there is "only
Advaitam" at that time and no "realization of Advaitam". The latter
connotes the fact that the knower and know are different which is
impossible as per what Advaita means. Your analogy of the river and
the sea is slightly flawed since it appears to be more closer to a
Vishistha Advaitic interpretation that jiva and Atman are different in
some sense while Advaita is monism through and through - there is no
form of qualification!

Another point, which I know is open to a lot of discussion and debate
is whether Prarabdha karma is present after realization of Brahman.
>From what I have read, Sri Sankaracharya claims that PK is destroyed
at the time realization or one could say that once PK is zero, then
only can realization take place. After that point of time, all actions
drop off the individual and the individual will becomes one with the
divine will.

Regards, Mahesh