[Advaita-l] Re:YogAmRRitaM by R. Visvanatha Sastri - 2

V. Krishnamurthy profvk at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 13:34:17 CST 2005

Namaste.
Sunderji wrote in the other list, with reference to the
doubt raised in shloka 10:

> Namaste,
>
>         There is an upanishad - shATyAyanii
(Shatyayani)[#99/108] - a
> Sanyasa upanishad from Shukla Yajurveda, which expounds
the
> characteristics of various renunciants, and the
consequences of
> abandoning these after one has entered the Sanyasa
Ashrama.

>         shATyAyanii shiraH could possibly mean adhering
to the tenets
> of this scripture?
>
> http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_upanishhat/shatyayani.itx
>

> Regards,
>
> Sunder

Namaste Sunderji, wonderful. I am sure you are going to be
of great help to me in my translation of my father's work.
Yes, ShATyAyani upanishad contains exactly the 2nd line of
shloka 10 of the text we are reading. So now  "yathA
ShATyAyanI shiraH' would mean 'according to ShATyAyanI
Upanishad'. The word 'shirah' means 'head', denoting the
head of the vedas, that is, upanishad. In fact all
upanishads are referred to as 'veda-shiras'. Now the full
translation of shloka 10 is to be revised as follows,
(thanks to Sunder-ji!):

The Lord is to be propitiated by yoga. As per the words of
ShATyAyanI upanishad, the yajna of yoga is nothing but
service done to the Guru and the Almighty with one-pointed
devotion.

PraNAms to all advaitins on this list and to my father
profvk

Prof. V. Krishnamurthy

You are welcome to have a look at any of the following  books on my website:
http://www.geocities.com/profvk

1. Gems from the Ocean of Hindu Thought Vision & Practice
2. Live Happily, the Gita Way
3. Advaita Dialogue for beginners.
4. Discourses of the Paramacharya on Soundaryalahari.