[Advaita-l] How can one claim to know Brahman?

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:29:32 CST 2005

Pranams:

I agree whole heartedly on all points made in the first part of your
last post. Sri Ramakrishna tells of a Realized Soul showing two
fingers first and then folding one of them indicating without words
what you have so nicely put..

>> What is the difference between a philosopher and a master?  Was
>> Shankaracharya a philosopher or a master?

The only reason for my last remark is that the lives and teachings of
Masters teach one more about Brahman than the theory of philosophers.
It is easy to sit in a comfortable study reading about loftly thoughts
and flights of genius but how these ideas can be bought into our lives
can only be learnt at the feet of the Masters and by reading about
their lives. And for that very reason Sri Sankaracharya is not the
best example. A genius no doubt but only his ideas are well
established. His biography, other than a few facts, is shrouded in
mystery. Which is probably apt since the whole purpose of his life was
to settle the storm of confusion that prevailed in India in those
times by stellar debate and argumentation. The danger in that is that
if one takes to the study his works, one could become a proverbial
pundita but be nowhere closer to the real knowledge of Brahman!

With respects, Mahesh