[Advaita-l] knower of brahman is brahman

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Mar 28 12:01:10 CST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, ramesh badisa wrote:

> Namaste. I will be grateful to you if you could explain my following
> doubt:
>

> Yama teaches brahma gyan to Nichiketa in Katha Up. It is well known that
> knower of Brahman is Brahman. In that case, why Lord Yama is only at the
> level of gods (or even be under God Indra)? Yama should have merged and
> become divine.

A jnani amongst Devatas is in the same position as a jnani jivanmukta
amongst humans.  A Devata has reached his exalted position due to many
good deeds in previous lives.  He must go through the effects of this
karma just like a jivanmukta has to go through the results of his
prarabdha karma.

> In this Upanishad at 1.22, Nachiketa says that none other
> than Yama could give him the atma gyan. It means that Yama has
> experienced this highest truth, and a person who experienced this
> highest truth can only give it to others. As Lord Yama experienced the
> highest truth, he could impart this knowledge to Nachiketa. Since Yama
> has experienced the highest truth, he is a Brahman. But, why he is
> localized in his abode, unlike absolute divine who is present everywhere
> at all the times? How can we explain this in terms of knower of Brahman
> is Brahman concept?

But he _is_ present everywhere at all times.  It is only to the ignorant
Nachiketa (and us) that it appears there is an entitity called Yama who is
teaching about Brahman.  Were we to ask Lord Yama, he would not agree that
he is "localized in his abode"