[Advaita-l] requirement for a guru (book info as requested)

Dr. Sanjay Verma sanjay1297 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 03:16:35 CST 2005

Namaste and Pranam,

The two quotes below in my original email are about 3-4 paragraphs apart. In the first quote, I'm not sure what your objection is (you responded: "Not necessarily"). I merely stated that it's explicitly stated in Advaitic works I have read. I have not indicated in any way that such a notion (ie, requirement of a guru) does or does not exist in other traditions.

In response to the second quote you asked for the book's information; this was in reference to a book which deals with the direct path approach (ie, no need for a guru). "The Direct Path" is by Andrew Harvey.

Om Shanti,
Sanjay

ramesh badisa <badisa66 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...but I also have read explicitly that a Guru is indubitably NECESSARY for the sadhaka in the Advaita tradition.

Namaste. Not necessarily. One can also find the same tradition like dvaita, vishitadvaita etc

> I can obtain the specific author and title if anyone is interested.

Please do so. Thanks

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

_______________________________________

"The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a single step." - Chinese Proverb

"To know and not to do is yet not to
know." - Confucius

"We manifest each our own destiny. So
ask not what destiny has in store for
you, but dare to declare what you have
in store for destiny!" - Dr. Sanjay Verma

More of my compositions:

http://www.advaitavedanta.blogspot.com/