[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 2

tatha gat tathagat79 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 14:51:28 CDT 2005

> Thanks for the reference from the gItA:
>
> > "This is what I believe and what I have
> > told you. Now you do what you want to do"

I am sorry for the loose translation. Here is the
accurate verse :

18.63 : Thus, the "Wisdom" which is a greater secret
than all secrets, has been declared to you by Me;
having reflected upon it fully, you now act as you
choose.

Thinking from another angle, this verse, towards the
end of the Gita marks a transition point. In the
beginning, at the "lower" edge of the consciousness
spectrum, we think of God as someone who is going to
reward us because we worship him or who is going to
cruelly punish us if we dont, we expect him to perform
miracles to prove his divinity, we expect him to
always bail us out of the troubles in which we ensnare
ourselves and so on. Thus, this is the stage of "fear
and awe" of God. By the time we reach the end of the
Gita, we realize that God is essentially a well
wishing friend who is only going to point the way and
help us if we walk on that way. Later, in other
scriptures, we find that from the viewpoint of
absolute reality, God is not different from us -
(though this fact is present in the Gita too)

-Mayuresh.