[Advaita-l] BGBh and yoga - yama-niyama - II

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu May 12 01:27:37 CDT 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Naresh Cuntoor wrote:

> There are two parties involved in any act of communication - the
> speaker and the audience. There may be one satya common to both
> parties - think of us as being entitled to our set of opinions, but
> not our set of facts. But when we say priyahitam and anudvegakara, is
> it referring to the state of the speaker or the audience? Something
> that is udvegakara to the audience may, in fact, be anudvegakara to
> the speaker, no?

In this context I am reminded of Gita 18.67

idaM te nAtapaskAya nAbhaktAya kadAchana |
na chAshushrUShave vAchyaM na cha mAM yo.abhsUyati || 67 ||

"This [gita] you should not ever teach to one who is not a tapasvi, not a
bhakta, does not want to listen and does not recognize me."

Shankaracharya explains such as person as one who is
without faith in Guru and God.  He believes that Vasudeva [Krishna] is a
mortal man with faults, and does not recognize his divine nature.  Such a
person should not be taught the Gita.  Even if the speaker had the best of
intentions, it would be undvegakara to speak about such things to such an
obviously unreceptive audience.