[Advaita-l] Re: Vakyapadiya 3.3.72, does it refer to Advaita? (Rishi Lamichhane)

Rishi Lamichhane rishi.lamichhane at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:27:26 CST 2005

Dear Vidyasankar,

Thank you for your reply. Here is the verses (in free transliteration)
for those whom the transliteration with the unusual characters did not
come properly:

tattvaanyatvaparityaage vyvavahaaro nirvartate
yatra drashTaa ca drshyam ca darshanam caavikalpitam/ 3.3.71

tasayaivaarthasya satyatvam shritaas trayyantavedinah
saamaanyam vaa vishesham vaa yasmaad aahur visheshavat/ 3.3.72

I did not know MM quoted this in Brahmasiddhi. In any case it is
interesting historically for various reasons. It among other things
shows that this is what people considered "Vedanta" back then, and
unlike what some scholars still think, Kevala Advaita didn't begin all
of the sudden with Gaudapada,

Rishi.