[Advaita-l] Science and Vedantha

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:11:58 CST 2005

Pranams:

>> Now there IS one big assumption that I tend to make and which might
>> ultimately be incorrect, but here is the assumption: "if there exist
>> questions that reason alone cannot answer (as proven mathematically
>> and thus beyond "doubt") then the ULTIMATE question (nature of
>> brAhmaN/advaita etc.) has a high probability of being one of these
>> questions." What is your opinion on this?

I am familiar with Godel's theorem and its implications and it is
interesting that you should mention this in this context. One of the great
phyicists of our time - Roger Penrose has attempted to use Godel's theorem
to prove that consciousness is beyond the realm of current physics. You can
find the proof in his book 'Shadows of the Mind' in which tries to prove the
assertion that to study consciousness a "new" physics would be required. I
do not know where I read this but I believe later logicians have found some
flaws in his reasoning and hence the nature of consciousness is still an
open debate. In fact, the fundamental question 'What is consciousness?' is
still open in science and philosophy.

Humble pranams, Mahesh