[Advaita-l] What metre is this Sanskrit verse?

V. Krishnamurthy profvk at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 00:09:58 CDT 2005

Namaste all.

A simple question on metre. Can some one help?

What metre is the following familiar Sanskrit shloka?:

yatra yatra raghunAtha-kIrtanaM
tatra tatra kRRitamastakAnjaliM /
bAshhpa-vAri-paripUrNa-locanaM
mArutiM namata rAkshhasAntakaM //

An allied question:

What are the other metres with 11 syllables for each
quarter? I know 'Indra-vajra'  each quarter of which goes
like:
DA DA Da DA DA Da Da DA Da DA DA.
An example would be:
tvam-AdidevaH purushhaH purANaH (B.G. 11-38)

I know also 'Raja-Hamsi' which goes like
Da Da Da DA Da DA  DA Da DA Da DA

The only example that I know for this is Bhagavatam 10-31-1
to 18. #1 here goes:
jayati tedhikaM janmanA vrajaH.

PraNAms to all lovers of Sanskrit poetry.
profvk

Prof. V. Krishnamurthy

Latest on my website:  Shrimad Bhagavatam and advaita bhakti. Introduction. Chatushloki Bhagavatam. Vidura and Maitreya. Kapila Gita.
Dhruva charitam. JaDabharata, Ajamila Stories. Prahlada Charitram.

http://www.geocities.com/profvk/VK2/Bhagavatam_Introduction.html

and succeeding pages.