[Advaita-l] Logic and shastra

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:44:43 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 Many thanks for your explanations. So, in effect, if I understand it right,
the realized soul does not have as association with his/her BMI and sees it
as a "third person" entity, quite different from who s/he is really is. Or
in other words, there is no feeling of ego, no sense of doership of any
actions. The thoughts, feelings, actions, reactions of the BMI are taking
place but there is no feeling of them being done by the realized person on
his or her own. Is that correct?
 But there are times when realized souls feel sorrow or yearnings. For
example, Sri Ramakrishna after his realization was troubled emmensely at
being in the company of worldly people and yearned for true devotees to come
to him. He used to go on his rooftop looking out for his disciples to arrive
and cry to the mother asking her for deliverace from worldly company. Or
Swami Vivekananda, to take a small example, when he just became famous in
the West wrote that he was sick and tired of the lectures that he was
required to give and yearned for a break from this schedule.
 The above appears in stark contrast to the equanimity and "revelling only
in the Self" trait of realized soul. In the above case, why was there sorrow
and frustration? Are these too part of the BMI and have nothing to do with
the person himself? Should there not have been calm acceptance rather than a
yearning for change?
 Any thoughts would help me immensely,
 Humble pranams, Mahesh