[Advaita-l] Women and Vedas

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 02:39:00 CDT 2006

Lathaji

"Women need not bother" maybe the correct position. I am reminded of another
such instance from the campU rAmAyaNa of bhoja.

rAma meets kaikeyI after coming to know of her two boons and says: "O mother!
you had always been partial to me, and now, yet again, you have demonstrated
that. I am the elder one and by duty supposed to protect the kingdom from all
kinds of dangers, but you out of your love for me, have given me the meagre
responsibility of protecting myself form wild beasts, and have asked the young
bharata to bear this huge burden." The maryAdapurusha understands kshAtra
dharma clearly and sees ruling as a responsibility, not a right, or a luxury.

In this case as well, if this position is taken, as opposed to "women and
SudrAs are not eligible", it should be fine. In deed, as your guruji said, the
obligatory nitya and naimittika karmas are a way of repaying riNa to rishis,
and this obligation devolves only on caste-men.

praNAms
Senani