[Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means'

Ger Koekkoek gerkoekkoek at wanadoo.nl
Thu Apr 13 10:55:02 CDT 2006

For me, as a European, I feel a bit a contradiction at this moment. Adwaita
cannot be traditional for me, course I am no Hindu.
Or do you mean that I should stick to questions about:
"Who am I", from Sri Ramana Maharshi,
a translation from sayings from Sri Shankara, from the "Ashtavakra Samhita",
from "Advaita Bodha  Deepika",
"Jnana Yoga" from Vivekananda,
or your website about Vedanta?
These are the texts on Vedanta I have.

Or am I also allowed to write texts as the following, which are, as far as I
think to understand this all, related to advaita:

I once said to someone: "It 's impossible to think anything in the present."
He started to laugh and responded a bit rough: "But I am answering you here
and now, isn't it, you fool?"
I replied: "And immediately, in no time, your answer is history. At the very
same moment you say or think something clear enough, the thought is history
already."
He said nothing anymore for 10 minutes.
The mind is a reflection between the past and the future, and the past and
the future are a reflection within the mind, but the present is always
empty. But this means no rejection of the mind. Without the mind I couldn't
have had this talk with that person, and I couldn't write this mail. So the
mind is a shadow over the truth, but also the possibility to realize the
truth again, by carefully studying on itself and on everything that is
appearing in it.

A main point is to converse a basic idea. Mostly we think that we ARE a
person who HAS consciousness. If this was the matter then consciousness is
nothing more but an instrument to deal with the world. This is an illusion
in the literally meaning of the word. It is the other way round: We ARE
consciousness in which APPEARS a personality in reflection with an appearing
world.
Once you conversed this, then you can suddenly realize that pure
consciousness, as being witness of it all, has an unfathomable depth in
itself. And this unfathomable depth is Brahman, timeless happiness (isn't
it?).
But realizing this is not liberation. You realize that liberation exists,
and this in a way that is indestructible, but old customs for instance can
be very powerful. It is very difficult to point your whole attention and
your whole will to it. No, once you realize this you cannot simply put the
mind aside, but in the contrary a long study on what is the nature of mind
begins. (Isn't it?)

Until now I found, as long as we talk about India in the modern times,
Vivekananda, Krishnamurti and Mahatma Gandhi inspiring religious people, but
only from Sri Ramana Maharshi I can believe that he became completely one
with Brahman.

But I am a bit doubting. Perhaps I don't belong in this mail-ring. I cannot
study the Vedanta like a Hindi-person. I don't mean this in a negative way,
you are doing a good job together. Perhaps this contradiction has been a
problem more often. You think in your own tradition, but only very
untraditional thinking European people can become interested in advaita, and
those kind of people have quite often a very active meaning by themselves.
But, all those means don't have to be such a great problem, as long as we
realize it are means and don't become angry. All those means together can
also function as a kind of cooking pot for our illusions. We make each other
unsure, and once we are unsure we become very alert and very active.

Perhaps I also could be a silent member, just reading what you all are
saying. I have red already some good stuff that was interesting.

With greetings,
And sincerely respect,
and hoping for some reactions,
Ger