[Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means'

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 06:34:04 CDT 2006

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

  There are some historical examples I think are relevant. For instance,
Modern Hinduism is said to begin with Ramamohan Roy whose Brahmo Samaj
scandalized Calcutta society at its inaugural meeting by: having a woman
read from the upanishads. Where is the Brahmo Samaj now? The Arya Samaj
also made a tenet out this issue. How successful has the Arya Samaj been?
But to point this out also relies on some assumptions on my part.

Ah, this is interesting territory. What happened after the advent of Prophet Mohammed, starting with Sind, and then spreading to the rest of India? Why did not our prayers of avatu maam, paahi maam work? Forget ordinary people. Somnath? We have a mosque in every major temple today. In what ways is the fate of Brahmo- and Arya- samajs different from the above mentioned? Would the same reasons offered for SishtarakshaNam not happening for the last thousand years not apply to the decline of Brahmo- and Ayra- samajs?

  I think ubhayaSri Vyas and Chadha have been having a very interesting discussion, but when thought experiments crossover into history, the scope broadens - way beyond manageable limits.

  Regards
  Senani