[Advaita-l] Re: Appayya dikshitha

Lakshmi Muthuswamy lakmuthu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 10:22:52 CDT 2006

  About his mystic devotion,there is another thrilling story that is
related to his work called Atmarpana-stuti. In this small work of
fifty stanzas he makes the inner self melt as it were by his
exquisite mystic poetry. We can see here the profound maturity of
true devotion to the Supreme. It reflects the inner mental state of
a great devotee, in whom the ego has become fully distinct. There is
a traditional account of how this work came to be written. It
appears once he wanted to test the maturity of his own devotion to
the Lord. Hence he swallowed the juice of the `datura' fruit, which
introduces intoxication, and told his disciples that they should
write down whatever he says, during the stage when his consciousness
was disturbed. In the stage of inebriation generally all suppressed
ideas would find release and come out into the open. And in his case
it was the Atmarpana-stuti that came out! It is therefore also
called `Unmatta-panchasati'.

  Namaste,

  I have attempted to translate the Atmarpana stuti of Sri Appayya DixitAr, If the moderators permit I can post the same .

  om namo narayanaya
  Lakshmi Muthuswamy