[Advaita-l] Meaning of praNo devI sarasvatI

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 01:43:38 CST 2006

This rik is the 4th rik in the 61st suktam of the (fifth anuvAka of the) sixth mandala or the 31st varga of the eight part of the fourth ashTaka of the Rigveda, in a sUkta devoted to Sarasvati.

Ralph T. H. Griffith translates the rik as "May the divine Sarasvati, rich in her wealth, protect us well,
Furthering all our thoughts with might". This translation takes quite some license with the original.

sAyaNAcArya's bhashya (from vedamu.org), with visandhi, is:

devI dAnAdiguNayuktA (one endowed with dAna and other attributes) vAjinIvatI vAjah annam yasyAm kriyAyAm sA vAjinI tadyuktA (vAjah = annam; that whose action is vAjah is vAjinI; and the one endowed with such vAjinI is vAjinIvatI; the one with annam is vAjinIvatI) dhInAm dhyatRiiNAm stOtRiiNAm (dhInAm = of the worshippers) avitrI rakshatrI (avitrI = protectress) evam bhUtA (thus endowed) sarasvatI vAjebhih annaih (vajebhih = with annam) nah asmAn (nah = us, in the accusative case) pra+avatu prakarsheNa tarpayatu (pra+avatu = may with immensely satisfy).

The English translation, following AyaNa, is: May the one endowed with all that is consumable, the one endowed with attributes of dAna and others, protector of the worshippers, goddess Sarasvati immensely satisfy us through annam.

I hesitate to translate annam, as it seems that it should be taken in a sense beyond food as we normally use, more in the sense used in "annam brahma" or "aham annam". In this sense annam means all the material in the world. Etymologically annam is derived as adyate iti annam, that which is consumed.

There is a Hindi translation give below the bhashya of sAyaNAchArya (could not find by whom): "dAnSalinI, ann-yuktA aur stotaOn kI rakshAkAriNI sarasvatI ann dvArA bhalI bhAnti hamArI triptI karen"

Senani