[Advaita-l] chandrashekharAShTaka - 7,8

latha vidyaranya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 29 01:05:47 CST 2006

hari om
  namaste
  thank you so much, dear anandji, for providing us the entire translation of sri chandrashekaraashtakam. it was a beautiful and glorious description of chandrashekara. i have seen the efficacy of this stotra in keeping away the 'apamrityu'. mrityu each one of us have to face. but apamrityu can be kept away by chanting this stotra with all sincerity and devotion. i have chanted this on behalf of some patients in very serious conditions, in total faith and seen lives being saved.
  thank u so much once again.
  thanks to the list member who requested me to give a translation that inturn brought forth this beautiful translation by sri anandji.
  hari om
  namaste

Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com> wrote:
  bhaktavatsalamarchatAM nidhimakshayaM haridambaraM

sarvabhUtapatiM parAtparamaprameyamanuttamam.h |

bhUmivArinabhohutAshanasomapAlitasvAkR^itiM

chandrashekharamAshraye mama kiM kariShyati vai yamaH || 7||

bhaktavatsalam- affectionate towards devotees

archatAM - of those who worship (Him)

nidhimakshayaM - inexhaustible treasure

haridambaraM - wearing no clothes

sarvabhUtapatiM - the Lord of all beings

parAtparam - supreme

aprameyamanuttamam.h - unfathomable, unsurpassed

bhUmivArinabhohutAshanasoma - earth, water, sky, fire, and the moon

pAlitasvAkR^itiM - form guarded

chandrashekharamAshraye - I seek refuge in Shri Chandrashekhara (Shiva) (the
Lord who bears the moon on His head)

mama kiM kariShyati vai yamaH - what will Yama (Death) do to me?

He is affectionate towards His devotees. He is the inexhaustible treasure of
those who worship Him, even though He Himself is without clothes(digaMbara).
He is the Lord of all beings, the Supreme, Unfathomable, Unsurpassed One.
His form is guarded by the earth, water, sky, fire, and the moon. I seek
refuge in that Chandrashekhara (Shiva)(the Lord who bears the moon on His
head). What will Yama (Death) do to me?

vishvasR^ishhTividhAyinaM punareva pAlanatatparaM

sa.nharantamatha prapaJNchamasheShalokanivAsinam.h |

kriDayantamaharnishaM gaNanAthayUthasamanvitaM

chandrashekharamAshraye mama kiM kariShyati vai yamaH || 8||

vishvasR^ishhTividhAyinaM - accomplishing the creation of the universe (as
brahmA)

punareva pAlanatatparaM - then engaged in protecting (as ViShNu)

sa.nharantamatha prapaJNcham - and destroying the universe (as Rudra)

asheShalokanivAsinam.h - whose abode is all the worlds

kriDayantamaharnishaM - who allows/causes (them) to play day and night

gaNanAthayUthasamanvitaM - associated with the host of Ganesha (the gaNas
whose leader is gaNapati or gaNanAtha)

chandrashekharamAshraye - I seek refuge in Shri Chandrashekhara (Shiva)
(the Lord who bears the moon on His head)

mama kiM kariShyati vai yamaH - what will Yama (Death) do to me?

He is engaged in creating, then maintaining, and finally destroying the
universe. His abode is all the worlds (He pervades all the worlds). Having
associated with the host (group) of Ganesha's followers (gaNas), He lets
them play day and night. I seek refuge in that Chandrashekhara (Shiva)(the
Lord who bears the moon on His head). What will Yama (Death) do to me?

Anand