[Advaita-l] Self-knowledge

Amuthan aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Thu Feb 2 13:14:53 CST 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI bhAskar,

--- bhaskar.yr_at_in.abb.com wrote:

> but an aparokSha j~nAna of deep
> sleep is possible only for one who has experienced
> nirvikalpaka samAdhi.)
>
> praNAms Amuthan prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Kindly quote me the shankara bhAshya reference for
> above
> declaration...IMHO, nirvikalpa samAdhi is purusha
> tantra jnAna (attained
> through human effort) which is limited in space &
> time and not vastu
> rUpa/vastu tantra  jnAna or svarUpa jnAna...

i don't have an offhand quote from AchArya's bhAShya,
but svAmi satchidAnandendra sarasvatI mentions in one
place (again, i forgot where) that nirvikalpa samAdhi
is a mere experience of deep sleep. though what i have
stated does not follow from this, it should atleast
make it sound plausible.

samAdhi is a special state of the mind. during
nirvikalpa samAdhi the mind subsides and our identity
with the self which is ever present is directly
realized. how can this be puruSha tantra j~nAna? since
during samAdhi we remain as our own self, and since
svarUpa j~nAna is not something that is newly created,
it ought to be called vastu tantra j~nAna.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.