[Advaita-l] An inspiring quote of Swami Vivekananda

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Feb 21 23:31:01 CST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Sridhar Babu wrote:

>             || Namaami Bhagavath Paadham Sankaram Loka Sankaram ||
>
> Dear Avdaitins
>
> This is an inspiring quote, of Swamiji, that requires our great attention:
>
>      Principles exist; we do not create them, we only discover them. . . .
>
> Religion consists solely in realization.
>
> Doctrines are methods, not religion.
>
> All the different religions are but applications of the one religion
> adapted to suit the requirements of different nations.
>
> Theories only lead to fighting; thus the name of God that ought to bring
> peace has been the cause of half the bloodshed of the world. Go to the
> direct source. Ask God what He is. Unless He answers, He is not; but every
> religion teaches that He does answer.

One can argue that there is a little or a lot of Advaita in other
religions but that is precisely a matter of "doctrines" isn't it?  We
should not hesitate to reject those elements of other paths (Whether
"Hindu" or otherwise) where they conflict with Vedic siddhantas.  And if
that results in bloodshed so be it.  Actually I think remaining ignorant
of doctrines is more likely to create an environment where violence can
flourish.

This is exactly the method our acharya has adopted.  Throughout his works
he has not hesitated to criticize other schools.  But he has also tried to
see the good in them--where possible.