kAmya karmas (was Re: [Advaita-l] Animal sacrifice)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 18:37:17 CST 2006

According to Ganganath Jha, there are at least two views in Mimamsa:

1) Doing nitya karmas does not lead to Punya, but forgoing them leads to sin.

(This was accepted by the late Kanchi Paramacharya. e.g.
http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part12/chap9.htm
"Not performing sandyavandana is sinful, but its performance is not claimed to
bring any good. It is because this rite belongs to the category referred to in
this statement, "akarane pratyavaya janakam. . "")

2) Performance of Nitya karmas has the ability to destroy sins.

Of course, in Vedanta the performance of nitya karmas without desire brings
about purification of the intellect.

I haven't seen the view that doing nitya karmas has any special associated
Punya such as prosperity, so thanks for the quote from the Taittiriya Aranyaka.
But I'm certain that this Vedic statement has been taken into account by
Acharyas before claiming that performance of sandhya vandanam does not bear any
special merit, but non-performance is sinful.

I don't think that Kumarila Bhatta's opinions on Reality (he believes that the
pleasures of svarga promised by Mimamsa are Real and NOT an illusion of any
sort and quite different from a dream), nature of the Self (he believes that it
is a doer), or Moksha (the perceived world remains separate from the Self even
after salvation) are to be more esteemed than Vedanta. There is good reason why
Shankara took great care in refuting these Mimamsa theories that conflict with
Vedanta's view.

If Suresvara thinks that the performance of Karmas that commonly go by "Kamya"
can be done without desire for purification of the intellect, then that is the
final Vedanta view. Even if Kumarila's views on Moksha and Kamya Karma are to
be believed: as Suresvara says, the condemnation of "Kamya Karma" only applies
to the performance of Karma with desire, so Kumarila may be speaking of the
desire-ridden performance of Karmas as not being fit for a Mumukshu.

-Kartik