[Advaita-l] Re: A REQUEST FOR GUIDANCE.

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 20:58:19 CDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> Not having any experience with Ramakrishna Mutt, I don't know what
> advice their sannyaasis give householders. Of course, as you say the
> target audiences are vastly different. I would say that their
> structure is more Westernized than traditional Mutts, but not a
> Christian one. It's more a mixture of the vedaanta and bhajana kind of
> traditions.

...which again can neither be said as better or worse, but depends on
ones aptitude. The search for 'traditional' teaching can prove to be
elusive. I spent some time at Kailash ashram at Rishikesh with a very
respected swami-ji in search of 'traditonal' teaching and realized very
soon that it was not my cup of tea. His vedanta lectures would sound
more like classes on Sanskrit grammar. He would utilize all his time
discussing derivations of nouns and verbs and what not, hardly touching
anything of vedanta teaching as I understand. May be that teaching
teaching style is suitable for someone looking for a Ph.D. in shankara
siddhAnta, not spiritual guidance. May be not. I have found the right
balance (for me) in Sw. Dayananda's lectures, but others may certainly
question whether his method can be called 'traditional' in the
traditional sense.

praNAm