[Advaita-l] Re: A REQUEST FOR GUIDANCE.

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 00:25:32 CDT 2006

Namaste,

On 7/18/06, Ramesh Krishnamurthy <rkmurthy at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are just shooting off your mouth to show how orthodox you are.

"The word orthodoxy, from the Greek ortho ('right', 'correct') and doxa
('thought', 'teaching', 'glorification'), is typically used to refer to the
correct theological or doctrinal observance of religion, as determined by
some overseeing body. The term did not conventially exist with any degree of
formality (in the sense in which it is now used) prior to the advent of
Christianity in the Greek-speaking world, though the word does occasionally
show up in ancient literature in other, somewhat similar contexts. Orthodoxy
is opposed to heterodoxy ('other teaching'), heresy and schism. People who
deviate from orthodoxy by professing a doctrine considered to be false are
most often called heretics, while those who deviate from orthodoxy by
removing themselves from the perceived body of believers, i.e. from full
communion, are called schismatics. Not infrequently these occur together.
The distinction in terminology pertains to the subject matter; if one is
addressing corporate unity, the emphasis may be on schism; if one is
addressing doctrinal coherence, the emphasis may be on heresy"

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox.

My whole point is: Orthodox means "sticking to doctrine". I am sure all
these organisations are orthodox enough in their teaching. My only complaint
is the lack of accompanying lifestyle/ way of life/ what ever you may call
it and the importance of that cannot be over-emphasised.

Regards,
Abhishek