[Advaita-l] Locus of feeling in Advaita

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 09:08:33 CDT 2006

Pranams:

Can somebody let me know the Advaitic view on the locus of fleeling e.g. of
pleasure and pain?

Most authors assign it to the mind. But, I am facing the following problem
with this allocation:

The mind is constituted of the three elements of sattva, rajas and tamas and
hence is essentially inanimate. How can one subscribe feelings to it? For
feelings, conciousness is necessary and consciousness is the essence of
Atman. But if we set the locus of feelings as the Atman, then everyone
should be aware of everybody else's feelings since Atman is one!

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance, Mahesh