[Advaita-l] Guna and Varna Dharma

Kanchi Kamakoti hindu1010 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 05:13:42 CDT 2006

Dear All,

  I recently read the following in another website.

  " There is an important aspect of the Guna play. A person born in one Varna can follow the Dharma of what can be termed as a lower Varna but not in the reverse direction. This is by taking Sathwam to be higher than the Thamas, though in terms of wordly needs both serve their purposes and therefore are equal. The higher and lower classification would be only in terms of knowledge of Reality such as transparency and opaqueness of the Anthakarana or mind. A Brahmana can therefore follow the Dharmas of other Varnas with ease i.e. he can follow Kshathriya Dharma, Vaisya Dharma or even Sudhra Dharma, a Kshathriya, likewise can follow Vaisya Dharma or Sudhra Dharma but not Brahmana Dharma, a Vaisya can follow Sudhra Dharma but not Kshathriya Dharma or Brahmana Dharma and Sudhra can only follow his own Dharma and not of anyone else."

  This reminded me of my late father saying the same thing years ago.  I am curious to know if there is a scriptural support for this contention.

  Regards,
  Kanchi