[Advaita-l] Re: itihAsa purANa in the bR^ihadAraNyaka

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 29 10:07:30 CDT 2006

>namastE Ramaji,
>         Please refer to this old post by Vidyasankarji on the
>occurrence of "itihAsa purANah" in the ChAMDOgya upaniShat.h:
>http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jan/msg00017.html
>
>Here shaN^kara takes it to mean mahAbhArata and some other purANa. Is
>there any reason why shaN^kara doesn't identify the reference in the
>bR^ihadAraNyaka similarly?

I suppose I must clarify this a bit.

There are many errors in that old posting of mine in alt.hindu. Chalk it
down to youthful ignorance! I was also doing precisely that which I nowadays
warn against - relying entirely on translations without actually consulting
the original. I think if one were to go over every one of the spirited
exchanges I used to have to with net people in the 90s, there will be
mistakes galore.

That said, even in that old alt.hindu post, I did not say that Sankara
bhagavatpAda interprets the phrase as "mahAbhArata and some other purANa." I
was making a general statement that "in general" itihAsa means mahAbhArata
and that in the bhAshyas, Sankara bhagavatpAda has quoted from vishNu
purANa.

I am currently reading the relevant portions of the bhAshyas on chAndogya
and bRhadAraNyaka and will add to Ramakrishnan's comments in this thread as
appropriate.

Regards,
Vidyasankar