[Advaita-l] ganapathi

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:32:10 CDT 2006

> There is a prayer beginning with, Gananm thwaa ganapathigm havamahe.
>   In which part of which veda is it found?

This is found in the Rig Veda as well as Yajur Veda ( 2nd Kanda, 3
prashna of Krishna Yajur Veda). I am sure parts of other vedas also
have this mantra in some form..

>   Does it really mean vinayakaa?

Vedic gods are different from Gods of the Puranas - however prayers
are offered  with the notion that Ganapati is Vinaayaka, Rudra is
Shiva etc..

>   Are there any other vedic prayer-songs for vinayaka?

I know of the Ganesha Suktam from Rig Veda and Ganapati
AtharvaSheersha Upanishad from Atharvana Veda. You can find these at:
http://sanskritforchanting.com/
http://sanskrit.gde.to/all_pdf/ganapatiaccent.pdf

--ravi