[Advaita-l] On Sri Thaygaraja

S Venkatachalam chalam at thehindu.co.in
Fri Jun 16 08:13:50 CDT 2006

  Lakshmi Muthuswamy,
The following composition with meaning thereof will throw some light on
Tyagaraja's "closeness" to Advaita. One could say he was "close" to Advaita
on the basis that he was born into a Smarta family from Kurnool in Andhra
Pradesh, which subsequenly settled down at Tiruvarur in Tamil Nadu.
Tyagaraja's focus was on nadopasana as a means to moksa.

Regards,
S. Venkatachalam

dhvaithamu sukhamaa
raagam: reeti gowLa

taaLam: dEshaadi
Composer: Tyaagaraaja
Language: Telugu

pallavi

dvaitamu sukhamA advaitamu sukhamA

anupallavi

caitanyamA vinu sarvasAkSi vistAramu-gAnu delupumu nAtO

caraNam

gagana pavana tapana bhuvanAdyavanilO nagadha rAja shivEndrAdi surulalO
bhagavadbhakta varAgrEsharulalO bAga ramincE tyAgarAjArcita

----

Meaning:
Which conduces to beatitude, Dvaita or Advaita ? Dvaita, which declares that
Jivaatma is different from the Paramaatma or Advaita which asserts that they
are identical ? As the Eternal Witness of cosmos, please enlighten me, Lord.
Throw light on this mystery so that I comprehend it beyond any doubt.
Supreme and Omnipresent, you are declared to be equally manifest in all the
worlds and to delight in sporting in the five elements: The Trinity, the
celestials and the cream of devotees. O worshipped by Tyagaraaja ! Do
enlighten me.