[Advaita-l] Veda/Shastra sanction of 'Sagothram' marriage?

lakshmi iyer ilakshmi_r at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 18:00:44 CST 2006

Namaskaram,

I do not know if this is an appropriate forum to raise
the following issue. So please disregard it if
inappropriate.

In a discussion with some Vaidikas, someone pointed
out that Sagothram (same Gothram) marriages are
sanctioned in the Shastras under certain exceptions.
But I could neither obtain information on which texts
sanctioned it nor on the exceptions.

I would appreciate very much if someone could provide
a pointer to any relevant works.

Regards
L. Iyer.