[Advaita-l] Shiva Manasa Puja

Subramanya hiriyannaiah subramanyauh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 04:30:24 CST 2006

Dear All,
PraNamamyaham,
To supplement  to the explanation of Mr Giridhar Vyas, I would like to add
my comments as follows:
The shloka explains the prescribed shodasha-upachara puja in steps Viz.
Avaahana,Dhyana, Aasana, Snana(includes Padyam,Arghyam, Achamanam), Vastra(
Yajnopaveeta), Alankara by Haridra, Kumkuma, Sindhur Churanm, Gandha,
Akshyate &Chandana, Flowers and Bilavapatra,etc Dhoopa, Deepa,Naivedya
through Paayasam, Bhakshyam etc, Tamboola, Stuti by Purusha Sukta, Rudram,
Chamakam etc., Neeranjana, Mantrapushpa and Pradakshina, Kshamaparadhana,...
all the rituals in the Pooja Vidhi included.
Similar request to consider "*my every word I utter*" as your praise is also
found in Kulashekar Alwar's "*Mukunda Mala Stotra*" which I am reminded.
"*Aalapanam Pratipadam kuru ma Mukunda"*
Yours truly,

On 3/20/06, Viswanathan N <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pranam Vyasji
>
> "AtmA tvaM girijA matiH sahacharAH prANAH sharIraM gR^ihaM
> pUjA te viShayopabhogarachanA nidrA samAdhisthitiH |
> sa~nchAraH padayoH pradakshiNavidhiH stotrANi sarvA giro
> yadyatkarma karomi tattadakhilaM shambho tavArAdhanam.h || 4 ||"
>

> This is ultimate advaitha......
>
> (At your age and that too with being broughtup in the west...your earnst
> response with such a translation .........hats off and thanks a lot)
>

> Viswanath
>

> "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Muralidhar T.S. wrote:
>

> > Pranam to all,
> >
> > I was interested to know if their is a website with explanation for the
> Shiva
> > Manasa Puja. I did search on the net but could not find any site which
> > offered a rendition of this.
> > I would be grateful if anyone can help me on this.
> >
> > Murali
> >

> This is one of my favorite stotras. I have attempted a translation below
>
> [These verses are in shArdulavikriDita chhanda.]
>
> ratnaiH kalpitamAsanaM himajalaiH snAnaM cha divyAmbaraM
> nAnAratnavibhUShitaM mR^igamadAmodA~NkitaM chandanam.h |
> jAtIchampakabilvapatrasahitaM puShpaM cha dhUpaM tathA
> dIpaM deva dayAnidhe pashupate hR^itkalpitaM gR^ihyatAm.h || 1 ||
>
> I have imagined a jewelled seat for you. cold water for you to bathe, and
> lustrous clothes studded with jewels for you to wear, kasturi and
> sandalwood paste, Jasmine and Champaka flowers with Bilva leaves to adorn
> you, incense and a lamp. Oh God, abode of mercy, lord of creatures!
> Accept this which I have imagined in my heart. (1)
>

> sauvarNe navaratnakhaNDarachite pAtre ghR^itaM pAyasaM
> bhakshyaM paJNchavidhaM payodadhiyutaM rambhAphalaM pAnakam.h |
> shAkAnAmayutaM jalaM ruchikaraM karpUrakhaNDojjvalaM
> tAmbUlaM manasA mayA virachitaM bhaktyA prabho svIkuru || 2 ||
>
> In a gold plate with nine types of gem on the sides I have prepared sweet
> rice and kheer made from ghee, curds, bananas, yogurt and milk, and many
> types of vegetables for you to eat, cold refreshing water to drink and
> betel nut flavored with camphor. All this I have made in my mind with
> devotion. Oh Lord! Accept it. (2)
>
> chhatraM chAmarayoryugaM vyajanakaM chAdarshakaM nirmalam.h
> vINAbherimR^idaN^gakAhalakalA gItaM cha nR^ityaM tathA |
> sAShTAN^gapraNatiH stutirbahuvidhA hyetatsamastaM mayA
> saN^kalpena samarpitaM tava vibho pUjAM gR^ihANa prabho || 3 ||
>
> I give you shade with an umbrella, fan you with a fan and a whisk made of
> two yak-tails and present before you a spotless mirror. The artistry of
> vina, dhol, mridang, and giant drum, singing and dancing entertains you. I
> offer you full prostrations, and many hymns of praise. With resolve I
> offer this to You. Accept my puja oh Lord! (3)
>
> AtmA tvaM girijA matiH sahacharAH prANAH sharIraM gR^ihaM
> pUjA te viShayopabhogarachanA nidrA samAdhisthitiH |
> sa~nchAraH padayoH pradakshiNavidhiH stotrANi sarvA giro
> [...]

Warm regards
UHS