[Advaita-l] My Questions and My Mails

Sailesh Ganesh saileshganesh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 19:17:56 CST 2006

Namaste

I apologise for any errors in advance, for I do not yet have sufficient
knowledge about the vedas. I am reading a book by Shri Aurobindo, titled
"The secret of the veda", in which he explains that for every term used in
the veda, there are two meanings at different levels, just like Abhishekji
has pointed out.

The first meaning is the straightforward, materialistic meaning, while the
second, higher meaning, is more subtle, and in a psychological sense. For
example, Agni, by the materialistic meaning, means the sacrificial fire, or
the chief priest of sacrifice. But the psychological meaning is (I quote)
"the divine will perfectly inspired by divine wisdom, and indeed one with
it, which is the active or effective power of the Truth-Consciousness".

Similarly, all such terms have a psychological meaning, which is indicative
of the state of mind and the path leading to enlightenment. When this
interpretation of the verse is considered, it leads to a consistent
structure of the veda that is rich in spiritual thought and experience.

According to Shri Aurobindo (and I am tempted to concur), current philology
is only a "conjectural science", and thus, a Science of Language stands
discredited. This implies that the english translations by European
scholarships are based on a subjective interpretation of the veda, which
obviously cannot be its true meaning.

Regards
Sailesh

--
Ekam sat, viprā bahudā vadanti (The truth is one, the wise call it different
names) - Rig Veda (1.164.46)