[Advaita-l] The power of AUM

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 09:39:04 CST 2006

On 3/26/06, Muralidhar T.S. <ts_murali at hotmail.com> wrote:

I try to meditate as often as possible and do
> appreciate the benefits of recitation of AUM.

Have you picked up the "AUM" chanting by guru-upadesha or yourself?

The reason I ask this because I heard a talk by Swami Dayananda in which he
says that recitation of simply "AUM" has been discouraged by shastra-s for
a householder. Recitation of pure "AUM" may create premature disenchantment
from worldly life. For a householder "AUM" attached with some other name of
God such as "Om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya" or "Om namah shivAya" is
considered more appropriate. Chanting of pure "AUM" is usually for
sannyAsins.

Of course, it is a different matter if you have started "AUM" chanting by
guru-upadesha.

praNAm