[Advaita-l] NOTES ON MANDUKYA UPANISHAD AND KARIKA: INTRODUCTION 3

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 21:06:07 CST 2006

Shree Ram Garib - PraNAms

Thanks for your mail.

Creation cannot be done by inert material.  Scripture defines Brahman as
ananda as well as chaitanya swarUpa also - satyam, jnaanam, anantam
brahma or sat chit ananda, brahman.  sAnkya states that inert prakRiti
is the cause for creation just like the way you have presented.
Brahmasutra tries to dismiss that theory saying that Brahman who is
conscious entity is the cause for creation.  If it is just existence,
alone it could be inert.  Scripture also says about creation - atmaaana
akaasha sambhuutaH , akaaShaat vayuH, vayoH agniH, agneH aapaH, apaH
pRithivii, etc.  Hence, Atma, the self, which is of the nature of sat
chit ananda is the cause for creation.  'Sa kaamayata' - He desired and
He created.  Hence, Shankara says - abhinna nimitta upAdAna kArana -
Undifferentiated efficient and material cause as Brahman.  ManDukya is
going to tell us more about this. I will be coming to the Upanishad
portion slowly.  I felt that unless some of the epistemological issues
are ironed out, it is difficult to follow the Upanishad.

Hari OM!
Sadananda

--- Ram Garib <garib_ram at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Thanks Sri Sadananda for your analysis of karika in
> layman's language. I understand that you have
> expressed reluctance for entering into arguments, and
> it is not my intention either. Just some doubts that
> cropped up:
>
> --- kuntimaddi sadananda <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > a).  Brahman is
> > all pervading
> > existence and b) Brahman is the material cause for
> > Jagat, which includes
> > all objects.  Shruti says – yatOvA imAni bhUtAni
> > jAyante, yena jAtAni
> > jIvanti, yat prayam tyabhisam vishanti,
tat