[Advaita-l] creationist And evolutionist

Raghavendra N Kalyan kalyan7429 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 3 01:36:02 CDT 2006

Namaste Senani-ji,

 > srishTikramam (agnerApah etc.) is clearly mentioned in both TaittirIya and >chAndogya upanishats. For an advaitin, Sruti is paramount, and Sruti specifies a >certain creation. That being the case, how can a confirmist subscribe to >evolutionism, which at the core says that evolution is an accident?

  My understanding is that the various creation theories in Sruti are reconciled in advaita by the means that I already mentioned in the previous post. You might also want to look at Rig Veda 10.129 if you are really concerned that the "accidental creation" hypothesis is against Sruti. Note however, that all this does not have a bearing on evolution because evolution does not talk about creation in the first place - not even about the creation of life. Evolution presupposes life. Having said that, I think one can debate on whether the process of evolution is directed or an accident, but I am afraid, there is no definite conclusion on that right now. And I dont think things are going to change even if there is a conclusion either way.

  Regards
  Raghavendra