Goodness (was Re: [Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means')

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Wed May 3 20:13:58 CDT 2006

Namaste,

It may be wrong to say that there is no Advaita without Vedas. Advaita
is independent of any scriptures. However, the Vedic tradition
(sampradaya) alone has passed down teaching methods to adequately convey
this truth of Advaita effectively. Hence we can say that only the Vedic
tradition teaches Advaita effectively and it is like no other.

Other religions too speak of Advaita passively but they do not possess a
tradition to teach it effectively. So it may be wrong to say that the
Vedas alone reveal Advaita. We must learn differentiate between Advaita
& Advaita Vedanta. The former is Tattva and the latter is Sampradaya.