[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Brahman, Isvara, and VishishthAdvaita

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 23:40:34 CDT 2006

Reddigaru

  Namaskaramu. I understand what you said. But still I feel that both the physical external world as well the inner Bhraman are real, atleat to begin with (just as all the charactres& events in the dream appear real untill u wakeup). Say in that anology of occean and waves, Only when you go deeper and become aware that you are the occean itself (rise the level to that level) you realise that you are that behind all without Birth or death.Untill than it wud be just too thoritical to keep saying the waves are just an illusion.

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy <annapureddy at gmail.com> wrote:
  Shree Viswanathanji,
Namaskaaramu. Thanks for your responses to both my
questions. Anyways, I feel that the analogy you gave does not represent the
Advaitic position (I will point out the reasons below). Please feel free to
refine your position or refute mine, if appropriate.

The Advaita Vedantic position, AFAIK, asserts the unchangeable nature of
Brahman, i.e., what we see as activity (the birth, decay, and death of the
entities in the vyavaharika world) is regarded as ultimately unreal. Without
going into further details, your analogy contradicts this position by saying
that the world is indeed a real emanation from Brahman. In fact, the analogy
of waves rising from the ocean represents the BhedaBheda view of Bhaskara
(and if I remember correctly, this position is considered and refuted by
Sankara in his Brahma Sutra Bhasya. Bhartruprapancha, a pre-Sankarite
commentator is also known to have held the same BhedaBheda views).

Cheers.

A.Siddhartha.

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org