[Advaita-l] Age/History of Sankara

B Shridhar kameshwarii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:46:08 CDT 2006

While we can have counter arguments for arriving at the age of sankara but I
feel the guru parampara of the various sankara mutts should be considered
the most authentic. The books, manuscripts, evidences can be changed through
the course of time but the data which is transmitted from guru to guru via
their parampara has to be held in higher esteem. Based on such data, each of
the major recognised mutts - Dwaraka, Puri, Kudali, Badri (?), Kanchi have
accepted a 2,500years history for adi sankara which again is reiterated
through their number of peethadipathis. I too have high regard for the
sringeri acharyas for their profound knowledge but we are now  discussing
age of sankara.

We were originally discussing about your point 6>. We also have to
understand we were discussing about the age of sankara, so automatically you
were not discussing about the ramana ashram or the ramakrishna mission but
the sankaracharya mutts. Now thus each mutt have their own guru parampara
and their disciples are happy with them in their own unique guru-shisya
relationship. Now by your statement (Point 6) you are asking everyone to be
vigilant and not to take such mutt's claim lying down. but then again why
not?  It is upto the disciple which you should allow him to be as he wants
to be.
Your point will be valid only in case we need to conduct a historical
research and not as a student of advaitam.

Yours Truly
B. Shridhar