[Advaita-l] Sri Satchidanandendra Saraswathi Swamiji - [was Pa~nchapAdikAchArya]

balu davey baludavey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 21:28:23 CDT 2006

Respected one/s
pranams.Let us abide by what has been presented in the last para of
the mail of Mrs.savitri Devaraj which reads as :
AS SOME ONE MENIONED EARLIER - LE US NOT PAY UNDUE IMPORTANCE  TO OUR
OPINIONS AND BIASES. LET US STAY THE COURSE OF ADVAITA ........
LET ME QUOTE BAGWAN RAMANA IN THIS CONTEXT

     Athma samsthithi: swathmadarshnam  /
     athmanirdhwyath athma nishtata            //

On 08/10/06, savithri devaraj <savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Namaste,
>
> There has been a lot of talk on Swami
> Satchidanandendra Saraswati Swamiji and his sampradaya
> or lack there of, or what Sri D.B.GongoLLi says, etc.,
> etc.
>
> I had intended to keep quite on this thread earlier,
> but I am tempted to think this maybe good information
> for the list – many might not have read his biography,
> which is in KannaDa (Sri GurucharitAmR^ita - by his
> disciple Sri H.S.Lakshmi Narasimha mUrthy). We might
> have an English version of his biography in the near
> future.
>
> I am picking a few incidents from Sri
> Satchidanandendra Saraswati Swamiji's life from the
> above book that clearly show his respect for
> sampradAya, for his teachers, for the Sringeri
> Shankara Mutt, and for everything that stands for our
> hoary Vedic tradition.
>
> Sri Satchidanandendra Saraswathi Swamiji was initiated
> into the study of Shankara's bhAshyas by Sri
> SatchidAnanda SivAbhinava NR^isimha bhArathi Swamiji
> of the Sringeri peetha at kAlaTi in 1910.   During the
> auspicious consecration celebrations of kAlaTi,
> Swamiji (Y.SubbarAya at the time) got initiated into
> the study of Shankara bhAshya and the pancAkshari
> mahAmantra from the jagadGuru. [kAlaTi didn't exist as
> a town that it is today, until this time. It was Sri
> SacchidAnanda SivAbhinava NR^isimha bhArathi Swamiji
> of the Sringeri Peetha who was inspired to look for
> this place and establish the temple and the town as it
> is today]
>
> SubbarAya studied gita bhAshya, nyAya, Vedanta, parts
> of pancapAdika, ChAndogya and other Upanishads, parts
> of Brahma sUtra, BhAmati, etc. under Sri Hanagal
> virUpAksha shAtry - the nyAya teacher for Sri
> Chandrasekhar BhArathi swamiji and other Swamis of
> Sringeri. In fact, SubbarAya's association with Sri
> ShAstry was a very long one - until the end of Sri
> ShAstry's life (Sri ShAstry was Sri abhinava
> vAlukeshwara bhAratI swamiji - the peethAdipathi of
> KuDLi Shankara Mutt, when he passed away)
>
> SubbarAya had been interested in getting initiated
> into Vedanta and Shankara bhAshyas by Sri Hanagal
> sItarAmashAstry (Sri virupaksha shastry's Guru), and
> when that didn't happen, he yearned to get initiated
> by Sri Virupaksha shastry himself, but he was lucky
> enough to get initiated by the Sringeri JagadGuru –
> Sri Sri Sivabhinava NR^isimha bhArathi Swamiji (on Sri
> VirUpAksha ShAstry's request).
>
> Later, in an episode during the Vivarna subject
> discussions in Bangalore Shankara Mutt, Sri VirupAksha
> ShAstry told the class (in which SubbarAya was a
> pupil) – "people say that according to SubbarAya there
> is no mUlAvidya, I am not sure what he says, and what
> people understand….".  SubbarAya, out of extreme
> respect for his teacher, just sat quietly in class.
>
> Another episode that took place in Bangalore Shankara
> [...]

baludavey