[Advaita-l] Age/History of Sankara

B Shridhar kameshwarii at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 22:58:54 CDT 2006

On 10/10/06, Sankaran Aniruddhan <sankaran_aniruddhan at yahoo.com> wrote:

> namaste,
>
> Please note that at least one of the lineages seems to have
> had AcAryas who have taken sannyAsa later in life (for
> example, Sri Virupaksha Sastry). On the other hand,
> sringeri has a long history of AcAryas taking sannyAsa at a
> very young age. There is nothing surprising that there is a
> big disparity in the number of AcAryas (this includes the
> dvAraka and pUri mathas).

We spoke about whether kudali was a upa-peetam to sringeri. Now, are you
saying that kudali has a guru parampara of accepting grahastas as sanyasi ?
If yes, then we can explain the big disparity.
Just please recheck your notes properly.

Dwaraka has bhramacharyas as sanyasis same as sringeri.
Puri mutt accepts grahastas as sanyasi and that is why they have a lineage
extending to more than 170 gurus to account for the age of sankara to be
about 2500 years.