[Advaita-l] Age/History of Sankara

B Shridhar kameshwarii at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:14:24 CDT 2006

On 10/10/06, Karthik Subramanian <karthikvathula at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Details regarding the birthplace of Adi Shankara was that it was an
> agraharam on the banks of the Purna was known. Upon inspiration, the
> Acharyal asked Dewan Seshadri Iyer to find out more about the exact
> whereabouts of this agraharam. The Dewan with the help of the Travancore
> royalty upon enquiries came to know that this place was known as Kaladi and
> that there was an ancient site that was revered LOCALLY as the birthhouse of
> Adishankara and another site that was where Aryambal was cremated. The
> biography of the Acharyal written by the then administrator of the Mutt has
> a dedicated and detailed chapter to this incident. You may please refer to
> it for. Furthermore, foremost on the Acharyal's mind was to locate the
> birthplace. The samadhi was took second place.

By the above you can see for yourself that the  "... there was an ancient
site that was revered LOCALLY as the birthhouse of Adisankara..." Which
means that kaladi was known to everyone and due reveneration was being done
there.
But you deciphered that the 33rd acharya discovered kaladi which was unknown
to the world till then.
You must be the new columbus here !!!

  Furthermore, I never said that Kaladi was unknown from Adi Shankara's time
> and that all the four Amnaya Peetadhipathis were roaming around searching
> for Kaladi.
>
>   PS: I just elaborated on your part of the mail where you spoke about the
> Keerthi sthambam. I had no intention of drawing or getting into a debate.
>   Also, I was throwing light on the background of the Shankara Jayanthi
> celebrations than on the controversies surrounding it.

What sort of a light were you throwing when you said that " Also a festival
called sankara jayanthi made it's way into the almanacs only after it was
instituted by the Mahswamigal" ?
You mean none of the almanacs knew about sankara jayanti till about 1910a.d
.?
You mean none of the amnaya mutt's and their devotees were used to
celeberate sankara jayanti till about 1910 a.d.?
The light which you are trying to throw comes from a fused bulb...

  Also, if you thought I was dragging you into a debate or initiating one or